Here are some names the students have given themselves:
- Aaron (I tell the student that that is the middle name of my nephew).
- Austin (I tell the student about Stone Cold Steve Austin even though it means nothing to him).
- Boris (This student is nothing like Boris Yeltsin).
- Eugene ( a great name. I call him Eugene, Eugene, the dancing machine. Of course, he doesn't know of what I speak.)
- LJ (This student took the initials of his Chinese name to make his English name. A good idea which I will try whenever I give students English names).
- LZ (ditto with LJ).
- Queen (Like students whose Chinese name Wang means King, this girl called herself Queen because that is what her Chinese name is).
- Poplary (His Chinese name means Poplar in English. I told him to drop the "y").
I have been tempted to name students with obscure names from the Bible.