Sunday, September 12, 2010

Caterwallings? Kaulinswailings? Some Monday blogging.

Havana Pub  Friday evening, I went to a pub -- something I hadn't done in months.  I went to pick up money so it wasn't like I didn't have a reason to go; but go I did, and much more educated and aware am I for the experience.  I went to the Havana Pub near Baoli.  It is a small place but Friday night, was place was really shaking -- packed to the rafters it was, so they are doing something right.  
 
Unfortunately AKIC has turned into a dead stiff when it comes to bar-going (what he was he before is another question -- raconteur extraordinaire he wasn't).  He came, He saw, He drank two beers, and He went to catch a bus home.  He will have to go there on another night to check out Havana's lending library.

Colts T-shirt.  Frequently, the Chinese wear t-shirts that are cooler than they know.  Thursday evening, a student was wearing a Super Bowl t-shirt of the Colt's recent championship, but he didn't know what the Colts were or the Super Bowl was.  So my stammering on about it to him was pointless. 
 
I have also seen the students wear Beatles, James Dean, Che, and The Who t-shirts not knowing how iconic they were. (*By the way, I think people who wear Che t-shirts should read about what he was really like - a Hitler-like figure who happened to look good in one photo.*)

Flannery O'Connor Quote  Some rare reader may happen to know that I am reading her collected writings.  Here is what she said in a letter that I found illuminating:

....sickness is a place, more instructive than a long trip to Europe, and it's always a place where there's no company, where nobody can follow.  Sickness before death is a very appropriate thing and I think those who don't have it miss one of God's mercies.  Success is almost as isolating and nothing points vanity as well.
 
O'Connor achieved success in her life but was afflicted with Lupus and so died young.


No comments: