Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Night Whatevers.

  • Tony did an amazing thing tonight.  We were about to go for a walk.  Tony was ready to go right away.  But I had to go use the toilet.  I mentioned this to Tony saying "Tony! I got to poo!"  Tony understood me and he followed me to the toilet and he assisted me by lifting the toilet lid.  Good thing to happen, especially as I will be sixty and incapacitated in the seeming blink of an eye.
  • I haven't been playing the guess how old I am game much lately.  Something about being forty-four causes that.
  • The kids are getting younger at school.  I have had a few that were too young to remember 9/11. (Now, you could say Andis you are getting older. Well you can.  I won't stop you.  But you will just keep being wrong, reciting a blood libel that I will have the magnanimity to ignore.  The fact of the matter is my age is fixed.  I am not getting any older than 39.  Everyone else is just going to have to get younger to accommodate this fact.)
  • I have been reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.  A grand novel, I say with a Connecticut Yankee that is part operator and part Don Rickles.  I can find parallels in the novel to my situation here in China.  Twain's Yankee talks about being looked upon like he was an alien by people whom he considers to be dressed like mental patients.  The credulity of many of the people living in King Arthur's age, where they never would question anything that was said, to me has direct parallels with the credulity of many who voted, and still support Obama.
  • On the bus ride home, I saw a man with several pairs of special glasses surely meant to view Wednesday Morning's eclipse with.
  • The students all thought that gambling under the guise of charity was nuts.  Better to give directly they concluded than to seek to rationalize a bad habit by cloaking it under the guise of charity.
  • I can't count how many times I have done the moonwalk in class these past two weeks.

No comments: