Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Back from Shanghai.

My day in Shanghai was spent pointlessly wandering.  I picked up Tony's passport easily enough.  Unfortunately, I could only get 1730 return tickets.  Having picked up the passport at about 1315, I had four hours on my hands during which I was continually asked to buy watches, bags, and DVDs.
 
I don't know if it was my lucky day or a lot of Chinese Summer tourists were visiting Shanghai but I had at least two groups ask me to join them at some tea-drinking ceremony.  I had to lie, saying I was busy, to get out of it.
 
I was also asked to pose for photos because I was a "friendly" foreigner.  The tourists who asked me were from Hunan province.  I haven't been asked to pose for photos by tourists since the time I first went to the Great Wall in 2003.

No comments: