Sunday, March 21, 2010

Books that most influenced me

 
This blog entry at the First Things site prompts me to make this list of books that have most influenced my thinking (if you can call it that):
 
Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
Free to Choose by Milton Friedman
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
With Charity Towards None: A Fond Look at Misanthropy by Florence King
Anything by Thomas Sowell
The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom
Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton
The Dialogue Phaedo by Plato
Witness by Whitaker Chambers
Everything by Evelyn Waugh
Chronicles of Wasted Time by Malcom Muggeridge
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon
The Letters of Seneca
The Holy Bible
The Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten
On The Road by Jack Kerouac
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
Civilisation by Kenneth Clark
The Life of Johnson by Boswell
The Black Swan by Nicholas Nassim Taleb
On a Chinese Screen by WS Maugham
 
A few of these titles, to be honest, not so much changed my mind as convinced me of my being on the right track.  I leave it to you to guess which two titles these are.
This list is by no means complete.

No comments: