Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lizards! New bike route. More regulation?

  • Last night, not being able to fall asleep, I looked out my window and I saw a lizard (about three, four inches in length) hanging out on a column near our veranda. Living out in the countryside of Wuxi, I do see some strange, to me, creatures like huge moths and butterflies, and very fuzzy caterpillars.
  • I took a different route to work yesterday morning with my electric bike. I was able ride my bike along a wide bicycle path marvelling at how it was built seemingly just for me, as I was only person riding on the brand spanking new pathway which goes along a canal and new park.
  • Are the current Wall Street woes the result of de-regulation? Does it mean that there should be more regulation? The causes of the fiasco are complex. It can be argued that some regulation caused the fiasco. For instance: Affirmative Action policies caused many of those bad loans to made. A former AIG chief was prosecuted by Eliot Spitzer. Lehman Brothers had connection to environmentalists. But it was definitely human nature that played a part in the crisis. Says David Warren: consider Matthew 5:45. The sun rises alike on the evil and the good, and the rain falls on the just and the unjust. To which we might add, that it is usually the unjust who are whining.

No comments: