Sunday, September 28, 2008

In a holiday mode.

Wednesday being China's National Day, I am mentally already in holiday mode although I still work Monday night and all of Tuesday.

At this time, I am vague on what my wife has planned for my days off , of which I will get four in the next seven days. She talked of going to her hometown Beixing but I gave her a look which hopefully put her off that idea. Having only three days to play with, going to Beixing would be such a shame. I need to relax for three days as the time after the holiday will be busy and stressful for me because I will be taking on some more arduous tasks at work. As well, my efforts to get new trainers at the school (including this) have proved fruitless. With one trainer going back to Canada, we will be at least two trainers short.


I saw, or rather heard, another accident, yesterday around noon. This time, I was in a taxi with my wife returning home after shopping in the center of Wuxi. The taxi passed a truck stop from which many trucks were merging onto a road. Merging into traffic is total chaos in Wuxi as it seems that it is everyone for himself, no yielding expected. So it was no surprise to me when I heard a loud clang behind us and turned around to see that two trucks had sideswiped each other.


Dump trucks are a scary thing in Wuxi. The ones in my neighborhood are going as fast as possible looking to me as if their drivers' incentive is to ship as many tons of dirt as possible. With these incentives, Dump truck drivers have no incentive to stop at red lights. So bad are they are doing this that yesterday I saw a fleet of six go through a red.

No comments: