Tuesday, September 30, 2008

AKIC: Melamine Free

Now that Tony is napping, I can do some blogging.


I am proud to say that my blog and videos are probably the only thing made in China now that is melamine-free. The news about what contains melamine keeps pouring in: baby formula, milk, White Rabbit Candy, chocolate and the latest I heard, bread. This and the other bad news in the world today should make me negative like a banshee. But Life will go on regardless.



I followed the Twins-White Sox tiebreaker on the Major Baseball Site using the program that reports all the action without the benefit of audio or video. The game had its' moments of drama and was a pitcher's duel. The Twins had a runner called out at the plate. The White Sox hit a home run to score the game's only run. So there is a chance of a White Sox - Cubs series as well as a Dodgers - Angels series. Because of the wild card, the chances of a White Sox - Cubs World Series has actually been lessened. In the pre-wildcard format, the Cubs and White Sox both would have won their divisions. (As would have the Rays and the Red Sox would have been eliminated already.)

It must suck for the Tampa Bay Rays. They finally have a winning season and should be in the ALCS right now but they have to risk all being lost in a short best of five series.


The wild card must have been a Democratic Party idea like government provided affordable housing and mortgages.


I live in a new apartment complex but I find the garbage that has already collected here intolerable. Parts of the complex are already going to ruin and the complex isn't finished yet.


I nearly took out a pedestrian on my way to work yesterday morning. I saw a man ahead of me but he suddenly darted in my path as he ran to catch a bus. I honked my horn and swerved to avoid him, he turned and lunged back, and we missed each other by inches.


The school was in holiday mode. I had nothing but one-student classes all day. My Speakers' Corner was lightly attended.


I asked some students to tell me some things that they have to do in their lives. The first student to respond said "eat and sleep". So, I had to explain to them that I wanted them to tell me some goals in life and interesting things to do in life. I was hoping, for example, that someone would say that they had to go see the Great Wall. The next student said "run a marathon" which was more of an answer I was expecting. The next student then said "attend an important event". Could you be more specific I asked.....


September was this blog's best month for visits and second-best month for page views. Thank you to all who take the time to read my modest blog full of its', I know to be, incoherent rants.


If Tony doesn't get his way, his manner of having a fit is to drop down on the floor and scream. And tehn my wife spanks him like you wouldn't believe.


Is the financial crisis the inevitable result of Political Correctness? The idea of giving a mortgage to minorities and others who normally wouldn't get one is clearly a Democratic Party idea. But how is it that the problem festered when the Republicans, who should have known better, were in power in the house and senate? Many of the Republicans, turned out to be using their political instincts instead of their conservative-principled ones. To have done something about the bad mortgages earlier would have earned the Republicans the epithet of racist and elitist and of being only for the rich. A few, including McCain and Bush, tried to stop the debacle but their efforts were feeble and were hamstrung from not being able to be frank about the true reason for cleaning up the mess. It is sad that the story that is generally being accepted about the debacle, too much hyper-capitalism and George Bush, is so untrue.


My wife wanted to go shopping today. I didn't. And so we didn't.

2 comments:

Danny said...

Here are the AL standings:

Anaheim 100-62
Tampa Bay 97-65
Boston 95-67
New York 89-73
Chicago 89-74
Minnesota 88-75

In the pre-wildcard format, both Chicago and Minnesota would have been eliminated from the playoffs long ago.

P.S., I'll give you a chance to look up the word "rational" and withdraw your previous rant about the wildcard, because it was a hanging curveball of a bad argument. If you want to stick with it, then I'll happily respond, since you insulted me in it more than once.

wuxi andis said...

So the Chicago-Minnesota tie breaker would have been totally unneccesary because they would have either been in fifth place (in the pre-divisions format) or tied for second in the pre-wildcard American League West.

It shows how convoluted the system in baseball is now because one forgets about the teams that are actually in first place.


The reason you support the Wildcard is because the Red Sox have benefitted from it. In the playoffs, any team that happens to get into the postseason, like for example those 83-79 Cardinals can win the whole shebang.

While it may seem exciting, the excitement is ultimately ephemeral. A titanic struggle like the '78 Yankees - Red Sox race is worth 30 wildcard races and rounds of playoffs if you ask me.

The wildcard has destroyed the pennant race and lowered the standard for what it takes to win the World Series. Call me irrational if I hate teams with mediocre regular seasons becoming World Series Champions.