Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Back to Work and then....

  • There are lots of things happening in the Expatdom of Wuxi, China.
  • I watched The Road  on DVD Tuesday afternoon.  The movie, based on a Cormac McCarthy novel, stars Virgo Mortenson.  I liked it.  It was the story of a father and son trying to survive in a post-apoplyptic world where cannibalism is the biggest worry.  The father and son aspect of the movie touched me.  However, the film did seem to be a Zombie movie trying to be profound.  I must read the novel.
  • I like leg warmers.  I had never worn them before till last week.  Now I can't live without them.
  • Is China about to go off the cliff?  John Derbyshire responds to another article predicting China's impending collapse.  Do I think China is going to go off the cliff?  It probably already has at least five or six times in the last century.  I think China will be like Mexico, all screwed-up and yet somehow carrying on.  But on the bus last week, I saw these patriotic commercials telling riders that China was moving forward.  That could be a sign that things are going backward.
  • Tony goes to school reluctantly.
  • People can have nasty falls off cliffs if they somehow think they can defy the laws of gravity.  I doubt if this has ever happened.  Yet societies do seem to think they can defy the laws of supply and demand, and have run themselves off a cliff many a time.
  • Tony makes a face.
  • I go back to work today (Wednesday).  Five days later, it will the start of the AKIC CNY.
  • The latest photo of TKIC and AKIC together.
  • There is still a chill in the Wuxi air.  I wear my LJs and Toque indoors.
  • The latest photo of TKIC and JKIC together.
  • Chinese students look forward to getting a red packet full of money during the Chinese New Year.  Tony will be getting some of these when he goes to the countryside next week.
  • The K family has purchased its bus tickets to Beixing.  We will be leaving on January 31 and returning on February 6.

No comments: