Sunday, July 15, 2007

Monday really is Monday, not Thursday.

With it being Thursday in AKIC land, one would think I have a the-week-is-winding-down-feeling.  Instead, it really feels like a Monday.  I have an accumulation of things to do because all the plans I had made last week were scuttled in a blink of an eye.

What is my opinion of the John Derbyshire piece I just previously published to this blog?  I want to say he is wrong but I really don't have enough knowledge of China to vigorously disagree with him.  I am also in a situation where I have to hope he is wrong and that the man he quoted who had an optimistic opinion about China's future is correct.   From my knowledge of Chinese history, I know one can be plausibly optimistic and pessimistic about its future.  Look for instance at Shanghai in 1936, Shanghai in 1966 and Shanghai in 1996: all very different.  So I can only say this for sure:  Derbyshire is right when he says that whatever China does, there  is probably not much we can do about it.

I gave Jenny a massage last night.  Her thumb is sore but she is recovering.

No comments: