Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A flat joke. Sixth Anniversary of Ronnie's. Brady Company. Terrible service at Champion.

I thought it would be a good idea if when I got home tonight to strip completely naked at the front door and then walk into the bedroom to greet my wife.   I was hoping to get a rise out of her, as the expression goes.  Instead, she looked at me and said I was hot.  OOOhhhh!!!! I said.  But she just wanted me to take a shower seeing how I was all sweaty. 

I had to ask her if she was shocked to see me walk into the bedroom naked.  She replied that she did not think I would walk home or to the pub naked.

Andy had phoned me earlier to go to the pub.  The pub we went to was Ronnie's (the other choice being the Blue Bar).  Unbeknownst to me, because I wasn't paying attention, it was Ronnie's pub sixth birthday.  I found out the hard way when they announced they were giving out free beer.  Just before the announcement I had bought a bottle of Tsingtao. 

The Sixth  anniversary night explained why I saw USA WuxiLife Fred at the pub.  He told me he was able to get out of the house because he told his wife he had a birthday party he needed to attend.   It also explained why the crowd at the pub was more than I had come to expect at Ronnie's pub on a Thursday night.

So, I was able to run into a lot of other Wuxi acquaintances like Lawrence, Connecticut Peter (Wuxi's greatest Expat), Will from the Netherlands, Ronnie Love, What-his-name from England, Melanie Jones (now an acquaintance in person instead of email), Guy from Minnesota, Pinkie and the other Banana Leafers from the Philippines (the baby whose christening I went to had not had a haircut in the interim),  and Australian Nick.  The big French-Canadian guy was there but I didn't get to talk to him.

It was nice to meet Melanie Jones who could tell by my blabbering to the King of Wuxi that I had to be WuxiAndis.  I will have to have Wuxi Jenny meet her.  Melanie and her husband Yasser are expecting their child on September 11.

I had asked Andy and then Melanie for an opinion about when I should plan my pregnancy and Tony's arrival vacation.  The King had suggested that I take the vacation from August 25 to September 7 till I told him my side of the controversy.  He then agreed that September 1 to September 14 would be more prudent.  Melanie said the same.

Andy had phone me when I was at Brady company which is in the new district of Wuxi near the Baseball Stadium.  I was there to judge in some English language testing.  The lady, who won, won because she was able to make a speech without looking at her notes.

Taking the taxi ride back, I noticed the strangeness of the Wuxi skyline from the freeway near the B&Q.  There is a big gap of nothing between the tall Kempenski building and the bunch of buildings near the  tall Moresky360.  As the King said, they would have to take a photo of it from a different angle.

Speaking of the B&Q.  The area immediately behind that store is disgusting.  There is a big stagnant pond full of lots of green algae.  From the front, the B&Q looks like a Home Depot.

In one of my classes today, I had the student say that the one celebrity he would bring to a desert island was Mr. Bean.  Why?  I asked.  He would entertain me!  said the student.

The wife and I went to Champion pizza for supper.  I ordered a pizza and the wife ordered steak.  She got her steak right away.  I had to wait 40 minutes for my pizza.  Abysmal!

No comments: