Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It is AKIC Tuesday! What else can be said?

  • I have to admit my mind is full of stories to put in my Wuxi China Expatdom Blog(s).  What's happening in the real world?  As usual, things are maybe a little too interesting and much has been said, and there is little I can add.  I can only tell you what I have seen.  And that means, I see a lot of my Tony boy.  You can follow him here or here.
  • I read there are now more Subway outlets in the United States than there are McDonald's.  And there may also be more Subways in the world than McDonald's as well.  I wish there were more Subways than McDonald's in Wuxi.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love McDonald's.  Long may it reign!  But I live in a place where McDonald's is far easier to find than Subway.  And then KFC trounces McDonald's here as well!  Whatever to that!  But my point is there should be more more Subways in Wuxi.  Right now, the outlet score between Subway and McDonald's is like a one-sided hockey game.  The score must be McDonald's 8, Subway 3, or something along those lines.  If I do want to get to a Subway, I have to walk for ten minutes. The injustice of that! 
  • Which brings to mind another Subway anecdote I can pass on or ramble on about.  When T&J (my wife and son) were away, I have to fight the urge to do some splurging with money -- that is, I go to the pub or buy Tony more toys.  This past weekend, my only the-wife-is-away splurge was to buy a Subway sandwich, 12 inches, with extra cheese!  That was it!
  • I had a student tell me she was a doctor.  I learned she worked at the hospital on a CRT scanning machine.  Does that make her a doctor?  She told me she didn't have a M.D. but she did have a B.Sc.
  • Frequent student mistake: to say "I am boring" when they mean to say "I am bored."
  • I had a student named Ice tell me she liked "Ice Cream."  It reminds me of the time I had a student named "Rain" on a Rainy Day, and I jokingly asked students if they liked Rain.
  • On the way to work, I saw that there had been a collision between a VW sedan and a three-wheeled motorcycle-trailer containing barrels of oil.
  • I will do an English Corner about Silence.
  • My brother Ron, living in Winnipeg, Canada liked my Off-The-Top-Of-My-Head favorite Bands list.  I asked him what bands he would put on his list and he said Black Flag, Naked Raygun, Helmet, Ministry, and a few of the bands on my list.  If anyone is interested, Ron is now living in my Aunt Ritma's old house in Winnipeg.  Ron is single and I keep telling him that he can come to China and pick up himself up an awesome beauty to help him look after the place.

No comments: