Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Zulu; The Last of the Comanches (1952)

My son Tony & I together watched the 1964 film Zulu. It was a fine flick, I'd say. The acting was top-notch. Scenes of the Zulus dancing, singing, advancing on attack as a group and hiding in the terrain were impressive. The only thing that put me off about the film was how it seemed that the numbers of British soldiers in the siege seemed to increase as the film proceeded...



I have found that choosing to watch a film based on the year it was made is becoming more and more a good criteria. Case in point, this movie I found on the internet because it was made in 1952 – a year I entered in the search engine – and then because I liked its title: The Last of the Comanches. It was not a classic movie but it was well done enough that I could watch it all the way through and could escape Clown World 2021. It was a Western and had all the tropes of a Western which are much more acceptable than the tropes of movies made after 2000 and much much more acceptable than the tropes of 2021.


So if its made before 1960, it is almost certainly worth watching. After that, a movie generally becomes less worth watching, the more recent it has been made.


No comments: