Thursday, July 8, 2021

My Long Vacation Begins; Unbearable Humidity; A Day Out in Wuxi; Watching Sports

Six week vacation I have. Too much time off for me, given how I have spent a lot of time not working in the last three years. And it has to be in summer which in China is not pleasant. 


I have a friend who wants to come to China – lords know why – and I have advised him to not come in July or August, but in Spring or Autumn.



The humidity in Wuxi is unbearable. I have to shower three or four times a day because any time I go out, I come back inside with a sweaty and very stinky body. And I am so stinky, I can smell it. I wash my armpits with apple cider vinegar in hopes of killing the bacteria which they say causes the bad odour.


My shirts instead of being single day use, are currently single use.



My son Tony went to Hangzhou for baseball camp, after all. First, he was going. Then, he wasn't because he was too old. And finally, he went because his mother insisted that he do so.


He only has access to his phone for half an hour each day on this camp, and he doesn't like to use the time to phone his parents. This is understanable given that he is 13 years old and would rather play phone games.



I had afternoon tea on the 43rd floor of the Hyatt Hotel in downtown Wuxi with my darling wife Jenny. The view of skyscrapers and canal boat traffic was impressive.


After the tea, we went to Nanchang Jie Tourist Street and eat Mexican food. The woman who served us was from Guadalajara, a city where I believe I have been. 



I saw Tampa Bay win the Stanley Cup live on the computer. Hockey in July? Meh!!!


I then watched a full game replay of the England Denmark semifinal. I already knew that England had won the match 2-1 in extra time. But I watched cheering for the match's key moments to have been spectacular. 


I was disappointed. Denmark got a goal and then England quickly equalized in the first half. Then there was an hour of no scoring. I knew England's winning goal was scored in ET. I hoped it wasn't scored on a penalty kick. But it turned out it was and the replay showed that the referee's call of a foul on the England player was questionable...







No comments: