Friday, July 23, 2021

Bad News; My Worst Summer Vacation Ever?; A Bit of Luck; Tony's Baseball Practice; Boris Apologizing for Saying Something Truthful;

I got the first jab, the first prick. I had to for work. I had it done at the Hui Shan Wanda Shopping Mall where there was a long lineup. So far physically, I just feel a little out of whack. Mentally, I am resentful of the powers-that-be that think that this is necessary or maybe have ulterior motives for making people do this.



I am frittering away my summer vacation, I can't help but think to myself. I am keeping myself busy but I wish that my son Tony has more to do than just play computer all the day. But the humidity makes it so difficult to do anything out of doors.




A frequent hazard in China is the accidental dropping of clothes, being hung out to dry of apartment windows on railings, to railings below or to the ground below. I have had to make a few journeys down to the area below my apartment, which has involved climbing fences and squirming through bushes full of years of accumulated trash, to retrieve clothes. Sometimes I have had to knock on the door of a downstairs neighbor to retrieve clothes which have fallen on their drying railings.


This Tuesday, I was able to quickly retrieve a dropped t-shirt using twine and a hook. I was lucky to do so because I saw as I pulled the t-shirt up that the hook was able to grab onto the t-shirt's label which just happened to be bunched up in a way that the hook could latch onto it. Otherwise, I would have had a difficult time grabbing the shirt.



Weekday evenings, I drive Tony to the other side of town for baseball practice. Fine in theory but Tony is the oldest kid at these practices. The older kids from his team haven't been showing. Tony tells me that some of them were in Nanjing where the appearance of Covid cases has turned people who have been in Nanjing into pariahs.



I just happened to hear that Boris Johnson was asked to apologize for a tweet where he said that Covid was mostly killing people over 80 years of age. In parliament, an opposition MP said Johnson's tweet hurt the feelings of people whose relatives had died of Covid and so he had to apologize to them My first thought was this was some nonsense about which only Covidiots could get upset, and that is was also a way of trying to take focus off the real issue which was how unnecessary all this Covid worry has been. I also realized how this was proof that the Covid over-reaction was a result of a generation that had become effeminate. "Oh! You're hurting my feelings!!"


No comments: