Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The second day of scootering.

After two days, I want my new electric bike to go faster. It maxes out at 40 km/h as I might have already said in this blog if not in my other. 40 km/h is fine in the city but when I get out to my suburban neighborhood where there is rarely any other scooters or bicycles to jockey for position with, I need speed.

I keep to the bicycle paths of which there are many in Wuxi. I never realized how annoying it must be to cyclists when pedestrians walk in these paths. Nothing worse than being forced to come to stop by someone loitering and doddering in a bike path.

I stop for red lights which seems puts me in a small minority. I have seen so many scooters ride right through red lights thereby causing cars to swerve so as to avoid collisions. Incredible.

Another thing I see that amazes me is so many cyclists going the wrong way down roads or bike paths. I think these people are taking very unnecessary risks. But the feeling of cyclists that some rules of the road don't apply to them is universal. I have seen it in Canada.

Since it is the rainy season in Wuxi now, I won't take photos of the route I take home. But rest assured rare readers, whether here or in my other blog, you will see interesting photos as soon as weather permits. My ride home, for instance, has me crossing a kilometre long bridge over a busy waterway.

I have never seen an area so full of buildings and yet so seemingly absent of people. I hope that the Hui Shan New City does not become a classic case of government overdevelopment.

No comments: