Monday, June 30, 2008

Boston Celtic gear in the Chinese Countryside.

The Chinese are crazy for NBA basketball. I am not. I do know enough though, to know who was in the NBA finals who won: the Celtics beat the Lakers. (Was Larry Bird still playing for them? he he.) The Chinese definitely knew.

Still, it was a surprise for me to see a middle school student wearing a Celtic shirt last Saturday. The student I saw wearing green attends a middle school that is an hour from Wuxi downtown, in the countryside. The Chinese had adopted the habit that I have seen in North America of wearing clothing of the current champion in whatever sports league is popular. I had assumed that they would wear the clothing of a team with a Chinese player on it like the Rockets and now the Nets.

But knowing that the Celtics were champions, did not help the student know how to pronouce "Celtics". I have given that lesson many times in the past few weeks.

No comments: