Thursday, June 12, 2008

I am still in China. Congratulations for what? First night in apartment.

I moved my home computer to the new apartment last night for which I wish to offer a public thank you to his majesty, the King of Wuxi Expatdom, Andrew I.  So, for the next little while, I won't have Internet access at home and so won't be able to make many postings.  As a matter of fact, I may not be near the Internet for three days in a row this weekend (Saturday, Sunday, Monday), unless I can sneak in the King of Wuxi's apartment where Internet has just been installed.

Last night, Niels, the greatest Danish Expat that Wuxi has ever known as well as founder of Wuxi Life, offered me congratulations.  I had to ask him what for, because I hadn't done anything remarkable lately, other that the Toner (or El Toner as the Mexicans or Spaniards would say).  He was congratulating me, he said, for moving into a new apartment and having property.  I had to admit that I never thought too much about having property.  I would have been a renter all my life if I had my druthers, but I made a commitment to please my wife.  Also, property means you have to take problems in your place personally.  I would rather let someone else worry about it so I can read Evelyn Waugh in peace.

I spent my first night in the new apartment.  I slept in the living room on the Sofa so I could enjoy watching the large screen T.V.  The first night was horrible as I was up all night trying to kill mosquitoes with my electric tennis racket zapper.  We have screens on the windows except in one place.

Greece is letting me down in Euro 2008.

Steve Lawrence is convinced Obama will win in a landslide over McCain.  He also told an anecdote about seeing a man walking down the street, late at night, with only a shirt on.

The King of Wuxi tells me some parking spaces in Wuxi sell for more than 100,000 rmb.

No comments: