Thursday, April 3, 2008

The King and We will go to the new apartment.

On tomb sweeping day, we are going to visit the new apartment thanks to the King of Wuxi who will give us a drive there.  I will be so happy when we can have a day off and not have to go to the new apartment because we finally live there.

I will of course take video to add to the collection of Wuxi Jenny Apartment Updates and maybe even the King of Wuxi updates as well.

 

I am thinking about something and I can only stand back from this thought and say to myself:  people are strange and lazy and think so highly of themselves all the same.  I have met so many people like that in Wuxi.

 

The creme de la creme of foreigners don't come to China.  Many of them who come here to teach English are alcoholics and tourists-posing-as-teachers and perverts and druggies and losers in a myriad of other ways.  Some of them even think their loser life-style is an advancement on the Chinese respect for family.  Some foreigners even think that the Chinese taste for pop music is nerdish and so proof of Chinese cultural inferiority.  These laowei can move halfway around the world and not move beyond the spoiled narcissistic concerns expressed in the modern western pop music they listen to.  Like someone, who is worried more about making ends meet and looking after family, really cares about finding himself.  No wonder the Chinese think they can get away with so much.  The West they see exhibits no signs of having a moral compass or strength of character.

 

My Winnipeg cousins are now in Beijing.  They tell me that they are getting into shouting matches with with all sorts of drivers trying to rip them off.  It is good to hear because I won't have to pretend to them that I am totally enamored with the Chinese and that I am so used to being cut off by a typical Chinese driver that I no longer have the urge to throttle one.

These stories of drivers trying to cheat foreigners really bodes well for the Olympics.  With talks of boycotts over Tibet and stories of Olympic visitors being ripped off by greedy locals, the Chicoms will have a public relations disaster on their hands.

No comments: