Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Biggest Battle

The poor wife was carrying Tony around all this day.  She was an exhausted puppy when I got home.  Strangely, Tony looked fresh as a daisy.  My wife had to go our new apartment on the outskirts of Wuxi with the Toner in arm.   He didn't want to sit in his pram like a good boy.  He insisted on being held all day long.  I feel so bad for my wife.

Thankfully, the mother-in-law is coming back tomorrow.

 

Life is tough enough having to deal with lazy foreigners, an upset wife, a very energetic baby, economic realities, snubs and what-not.  But the toughest battle is against myself.  I can't keep in focus.  I totter from wife and child to this blog to the question of how to keep busy and productive at work.

God help me to get my priorities straight.

 

Meanwhile, someone has pointed out the fascist tendencies in Obama's presidential campaign or at least his wife is talking like one.  Said Mrs. Obama:

"Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zone. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed."

Said Caroline Glick:

At base, Mrs. Obama's statement is nothing less than a renunciation of democracy and an embrace of fascism. The basic idea of liberty is that people have a natural right to live their lives as usual and to be uninvolved and uninformed. And they certainly have a right to expect that their government will butt out of their souls.

I can hear the see-no-evil-hear-no-evil Obama supporters saying that to call him fascist is the latest ploy of a Republican smear campaign.  But his wife did in fact say that and she certainly didn't mis-speak as Obama claimed when he made his "bitter" comments.

 

I can think of one good thing about Beijing having the Olympics.  They beat out Toronto to get them.  As a Canadian, I can thank God or fate that Toronto didn't get the Olympics.  Hearing about Toronto, that evil central Canadian city, having the Olympics would have made me happily want to teach English in North Korea.  The fact that Vancouver got the 2010 Olympics makes me happy not to live there anymore.  The endless talk about how all these people will come to the city and enjoy the new infrastructure will be like listening to people puke.  The endless talk about a two week party that would certainly benefit politicians and developers while inconveniencing the masses who couldn't afford to go to the Games would nauseate.

The world would be a much better place without the IOC (and the U.N. for that matter).

No comments: