Sunday, April 13, 2008

AKIC Monday

The wife is still sick after her bout in the hospital.  I must remember this.

 

Last night, I had lunch with the King and a German engineer and a Bulgarian engineer who has lived in Toronto for six years.  I asked the engineers a slew questions about the current political situation.

The German engineer believes that Andrea Merkel will reverse her decision to not attend the Olympics opening ceremony because Germany has too much invested in China.

I heard stories of old Eastern Bloc residents coming to places like Germany to make money.  There are Poles who work in Germany for the week and then go back to Poland for the weekend.  The reason.  They can make lots of money in Germany and Poland doesn't yet have the infrastructure.

Cheap Eastern European labor will become a thing of the past.  Europe is too small to have labor price differentials for long.

The Russians are arrogant and lazy which is why they are going so wrong now.

 

My mother-in-law heard something on the radio about 50,000 Chinese in Canada being either for or against the Olympics in China.  I assume that these Chinese would be for it or she wouldn't have heard it on Chinese radio.

Looking for that news item on the Internet I came across news that Celine Dion supports the Olympics in Beijing.  Maybe, the mother-in-law heard about this.

My wife and I have not talked about the Tibetan situation at all.  I don't think she would know much about it if she did and would probably parrot the Chinese government position.

 

Lately, I have been hearing talk of Wuxi people being the rudest in all of China.  One fellow, I knows cynically says that the most important thing to a Wuxi person is money.  Another says that only Wuxi people drive so bad and that otherwise the prejudice against Chinese drivers is not true.

 

I have also heard talk that parents should not let their babies use baby walkers for safety reasons and because the device does not help babies learn to walk faster.  Talking to the King about this, we agreed that walkers made a parents' life a lot easier.  Living in one floor apartments, we don't have to worry about babies falling down stairs.  As well, the King's son can walk fine now so the walker never stunted his development.

 

The King will try to fix my new site.

 

This site is now not available in China except through proxy.

No comments: