Monday, April 14, 2008

The Flame

Last night, I had a student tell me that he was indifferent about the Olympics because they wouldn't be taking place in Wuxi and so much money was being spent in Beijing on them.  They should have spent the money on housing he said.  But he did label the protestors ruining the torch relay as terrorists.

In the English China Daily, I saw a headline about a suicide bomb plot and Tibetan monks.  The Chinese media is responding with shrillness.

Seablogger makes a blog posting about the Flame of Shame.  Pity us trainers who have to do Olympic English events.

 

My little son Tony can now open drawers.  A sign of impending trouble.

 

Seablogger makes another blog posting about real estate market prices falling world wide.  Just what I need to know as I move into the new apartment.

 

The first round of the NHL playoffs have begun.  I am cheering for the Montreal Canadiens to win the hallowed Stanley Cup.  There ought to be a law that states they can win the trophy once every decade.  It doesn't seem like a Stanley Cup without them winning it.

 

The one child policy has resulted in babies being traded and pawned off.  I had a student tell me about a poor woman from Anhui province who, in a Wuxi hospital, had twins: one boy and one girl.  Because she couldn't afford to pay the hospital bill, she sold the boy and returned to Anhui province with her daughter.  I don't know how they did the paperwork to allow this to happen but if you have money, you can do anything with the government here.

No comments: