Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Meanwhile Back in Wuxi...

My son Tony has some girl, from his school's girl's basketball team, who likes to play pickup BB with him in the evening. He tells me she is good at dribbling at the ball.


I am also closely following Latvia at the World Hockey Championships which are being held in Riga. I was able to watch them play the USA on the computer. It was the first time I had watched a hockey game from start to finish in many a year. What can I say? I was really into it.


I was walking down the street minding my own business when I saw an older woman trip and do a hard face plant on the sidewalk across from the school I am currently working at. There were passersby who came to her aid, I am glad to report. The woman lifted herself up and grabbed on to her nose which was probably broken. There was blood everywhere. It shook me to see this. I pray the woman is all right. I wonder if there was anything I could have done to help her like give her some paper to stop the bleeding.


It has been nine years since my father died. At my photo blog, I posted a tribute entry to him. You can also visit a page devoted to him. I wish he was alive to follow the development of Tony. I pray that he is in a better place looking down on us and watching Tony mature.


On a Sunday evening, I was on the lift descending to the basement.. When its door opened a crowd of people was there to get on. One of these persons rushed in thus stopping me from getting out. I swore at him, reflexively.


It is my habit when I am at the subway station to take the stairs instead of the escalators. I do this because I hate how crowded the escalators are when passengers get off the train and head for the exits. One time during a morning rush hour, however, it was a mistake to do this. There was a setup at the Sanyang station where people going up to the Line 2 platform should take the escalators because people coming down that platform can only take the stairs. I took the stairs and was "one" going against a stream of hundreds. I remember to never do that again.


Sometimes I wish Chinese staff serving me would use Chinese instead of English. On a Monday, I was going to get a medical done when the person at reception asked me for something which I couldn't make out. I was thinking she was speaking Chinese when what she was doing was trying to say "passport" in English. I finally figured it out and said "huzhao" (that's pinyin for passport) to let her know I could understand some Chinese.


Using the NHL App, I listened to play-by-play of Game 7 of the Leafs Habs series. The Habs won and now they will play the Jets in the next round. For Winnipegers, being matched up against the Canadiens in a playoff series is a dream match-up. Winnipeg felt truly major league the first time the Canadiens came to play in Winnipeg.


Editorial Comment: They let some health care workers attend game seven. Why didn't they let some of the business owners who had to sacrifice their livelihoods attend as well? Why honor government workers who didn't lose their jobs in this and may even get a raise at the end of it? I have heard reports that these healthcare workers attending the game were bending the rules that were being enforced so they could have an easier time of it during the Covid situation.


Lockdowns are a crime against humanity.


No comments: