Wednesday, October 16, 2019

WEB English Troubles, LeBron 1, LeBron 2, Bookworm Room Podcast, chicom Social Media Police, LeBron 3


  • WEBi or WEB International English, a competitor of my school, is having some financial difficulties. They have given some their students to EF and haven't paid their teachers. Not a good sign for the industry which has employed all the years I have been in China. I am not sure how Wuxi WEBi is affected because the WEB organization is big and a franchise operation. From my mutterings in this blog, my very rare readers will know that I don't associate with many foreigners. I am a kind of exile/recluse in the Wuxi Expatdom. So, I would only be able to give third or fourth hand information. What does it mean for me? It is time to bail.

  • I wonder how LeBron James is perceived in China. He was popular before. I wonder if his comments on the tweet by the Rockets GM has been given media attention in China and if this is so, how his popularity would be affected. Would he be more of a hero? If I had students to talk to – right now, I don't have many – I would ask them.

  • I just read the LeBron is not popular in Hong Kong. His image and his jerseys are being burnt by protesters. And it just so happens that Tony has a very expensive LeBron Lakers Jersey made by Nike. That jersey along with Tony's Harden jersey and Rockets' Cap are jinxed.

  • I forgot to mention a podcast that I have been listening to on a regular basis: Bookworm Room's Podcast. The hostess sensibly talks about matters political and cultural.

  • A thing I was told: You cannot criticize Xi Jing Ping on Chinese social media. The chicom social media police will come down on you.

  • A student did tell me that LeBron's comments are known by mainland Chinese. She didn't have much an opinion on, being a woman and not a basketball fan.


No comments: