Sunday, October 20, 2019

Tony Wants to Go Himself; Judas and the Bag of Money; Trying to Get Jenny to Watch Succession; Tony Likes Succession's Language; Upping My Manners; WeChat Canadian Election Moment


  • Tony wanted to play basketball at the apartment court and didn't want me coming with him. Interesting and just as well. I really didn't want to watch him. It would mean having to look at more locals. I'd rather be reclusive these days. But it is good to see Tony trying to be independent.

  • On WeChat moments, I posted a picture entitled Judas and the Bag of Money. It was at stab at foreigners. I will admit that I am as much a Judas as the people towards whom I am directing the picture, but at least by recognizing it, I am on the first step to redeeming myself.

  • I am trying to get my wife Jenny to watch the Succession series. I think it would appeal to her because it has a over-the-top Game of Thrones feel about it. Succession has so many jaw-droppingly excruiatingly delightful scenes of confrontation in it in the manner of GOT's killing of characters. In a way, Succession seems to be classic Game of Thrones set in the modern corporate fantasy world.

  • Maybe, I have mentioned that my son Tony likes watching the confrontational scenes in Succession as much as I do. He finds the salty use of language to be delicious.

  • If I am to be better than the locals who I despise so much, I am going to have to up my manners. When driving in China, there is frequently situations where multiple lanes suddenly become less. For example, a three lane road becomes a two lane road, or, as on the morning of October 21st when driving Tony to school, two lanes became one because a bunch of buses were parked that were going to take students on a school outing. I saw this bottleneck, down a ways from it, when many of the drivers around me, who were probably short-sighted, didn't and so I got into the proper lane. When the cars around me finally were able to see what was happening, they did the reactive thing and immediately, without thinking, tried to get into the proper lane. What happens then on Chinese roads in these situations, because of it being a low-trust society, is that no one lets in anyone else. I decided I would let one car merge ahead of me. One by one mergeing was what was called for in this situation, but when I looked in my rear-view mirror, I saw that the cars behind me were not doing this. Fucking Chinese drivers! I am just way more civilized that you stupid short-sighted, sheepy, caged mind fucks. [Pardon my French, but these thoughts are hard to suppress when you drive amongst these people.]

  • I mailed my vote in for the Canadian Federal Election. I made a point of posting about the election on my WeChat moments. And I made a very big point of saying some uncomplimentary words about our current PM and a point of posting some uncomplimentary photos of him to show my Chinese contacts the joys of being able to slag one's political leaders in public.


No comments: