Friday, February 5, 2010

It is Saturday for you; it is Wednesday for me.

Early Risings
This work week, I have been getting up at six a.m. which means I haven't been lingering in bed as is most often times my habit.  I have been getting up early in hopes of being able to upload a video to Youtube.  Unfortunately, I have had no success.

I even was up early this morning, despite having gone to bed late last night.  What happened was that a student invited some trainers to her apartment for a late supper.  We were reluctant to go, not because we didn't want to, but because we were asked on very short notice.  I went because I got myself talked into by my wife and the student.  I don't regret going because the food was excellent.  The student has a European boy friend, so I was able to eat some food I hadn't had in a while like dill gherkins, which were a sort of like a mini dill pickle.  I haven't had dill pickles since I left Canada five years ago.  I also had some Chinese cuisine from other parts of China that I had never before eaten -- very good as well.  My only regret was that I was against it for time because I needed to leave before the last bus of the evening going towards Yanqiao and home (and my wife and son).

Leaving the apartment, I noticed that one can become quite disorientated in these huge apartment complexes.  In the dark, everything looks the same.  Thankfully, I chose the right path to get to the main entrance.

Once home, I read this short story by Flannery O'Connor called "Everything That Rises Must Converge."  Such a wonderful story.  Here is the link for it.  A simple story, well-resented, and yet so profound on many levels.

No comments: