Monday, September 9, 2024

4:40 PM View


 I took my copies of  Chateaubriand’s Memoirs and the Oxford Book of English Verse to school this morning.  Coming back from school, I realized I had forgotten to bring them back with me.  I didn’t turn around.  I’ll probably reject that decision.

Seeing how I’m not so busy at school,  I savor tiny morsels of the volumes during the day.  I don’t want my English to atrophy.

I brought three bottles of Crown Royal back to China with me. I’m dangerously close to killing off one of the bottles.  And it isn’t even mid September yet.

I suppose I should report on my trip to Church on Sunday.  I went with a colleague who is a Catholic from the Philippines.  The mass was in Chinese.  I tried to follow along in English using the order of the mass from the Universalis app, but it seemed that they had truncated the readings.  I had to rely on my colleague to tell where we were in the mass.  Still, I enjoyed it.

In this paragraph, I’ll ramble out some things I saw.  When I walked in, the mass attendees were apparently reciting the rosary.  I’m going to have to get a Chinese version of this and the mass to follow along.  Most of the attendees were old.  I only saw a couple families.  I bought a crucifix from the church shop.  Thirty RMB it cost.  Father Wu blessed it.


I learned that I can go up during communion without doing the Eucharist 

I did experience a moment of spiritual anguish while there.


Meanwhile at school, there was a lizard (gecko?) on my classroom’s ceiling.




No comments: