Saturday, November 4, 2023

Early November Ramblings

There is a high speed rail track near my Jiangyin apartment.  I haven’t been able to get the money shot photo of a train on the track.  I can’t see it from my apartment, and every drive near it has not been when a train is running.   Still.  One day.


Israel Hamas.  What’s my position?  Not to have a position.  Years ago, I would have been on Israel’s side.  Now, I realize I shouldn’t be near anyone who has taken sides on the issue.  That’s why it’s good to be in China.  I don’t have any political discussions.


According to Radio Derb, China is not in a good state.  Xi is in control, he’s an ideologue, the economy is flatlining, many Chinese are homeless, many Chinese are unemployed, and generally the population is not happy.  So, stasis.  From my vantage point, there could be stasis, but I don’t have enough contact with Chinese adults to report on their feelings of satisfaction in their lives.  I haven’t seen any homeless.


I’ve been driven in EVs here in Jiangyin.  I see a lot of Teslas and there are many Chinese brand EVs.  My feeling about them?  Meh!  I don’t want one.  It’s okay to burn fossil fuels.  Charging those bastards EVs would be soul-destroying.  EVs put the “E” and “V” in “Evil.”  If you buy an electric car, you’re very stupid, and aiding and abetting evil.


Watched a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson.  I was surprised to see Pat Buchanan make appearances in it.  Buchanan recently celebrated his 85th birthday.  It was Buchanan’s columns that made me see why people were supporting Trump.


It’s exhausting teaching this year.  I have a lot of grading to do every day.


My colleagues are from the USA, Kenya, Ghana, the Philippines, India, Pakistan and Singapore.


Biden should be impeached .  He is a liar, an incompetent, a corrupt politician, a demagogue, an empty suit, a pervert, a man lacking in any principles or beliefs, and a destroyer of the good.


Bring back Trump!  He is a bullshit artist.  He should have done more for the agenda he espoused.  He is being persecuted.


I haven’t watched many videos this year.  I’ve been reading and studying languages and listening to podcasts.


I like the angry song on the Stones’ new album.


I wish I could write like the blogger Severian at Founding Questions.  Not sure if I have what it takes to be an NBC.  


Till about four years ago, I never would have identified as a White person.  But thanks to Burn Loot Murder, the mob prosecution of Derrick Chauvin in Minneapolis, Critical Race Theory, and Wokeism, I have to identify as such.  It would seem that only old white guys believe in content of character over skin color.  I’m an old white guy.


I often get up at 4:40 AM.  I begin the day by doing Spanish, French, and Chinese lessons on Duolingo; the daily NYT Wordle puzzle; reading a chapter of the New Testament; two pages of Nicholas Gomez Davila aphorisms in English, French and Spanish; a passage of Chesterton; aphorisms from Jose Maria Escriva; two or three poems; and chapters of whatever novels or non-fiction works I am reading.  This Friday, though, I was so tired, I had to be woken by the 5:00 AM alarm.  Which for me is oversleeping.



I keep myself busy.


That’s all for now.  I’m going to have a beer.

No comments: