Monday, June 26, 2023

Wilfred Thesiger & Hunter S. Thompson

 I’m reading Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign  Trail ‘72 by Hunter S. Thompson.  I was referred to the first book by a recent blog entry by David Warren, my favorite blogger, at Essays in Idleness.  I’ve heard of the Thompson book but it was Tucker Carlson who finally got me to want to read it,

The two authors are remarkable individuals.  Thesiger wrote of his adventures in the deserts of Arabia and Africa.  He seems, from what I’ve read so far to be a genuine reactionary,  Thompson, from what I’ve read so far, is a great journalist. The Fear and Loathing book is a page turner.  But Thompson is too much of an idealist for me to think that he ranks anything but a distant second behind Thesiger as a man.

No comments: