Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Things I saw on my electric bike ride to work.

  • Waiting at a red light, I saw the electric bike next to me had four people.  There was a man driving with a young boy between his legs.  Sitting behind the man was a woman holding a baby.  Was this in fact a family of four?  Or did someone belong to another family?  It is not uncommon to see three people on a fast-moving motorcycle.  In Beixing (my wife's countryside hometown) it was not strange to see five people on a bike - it can be done with three children and two adults.
  • A pedestrian tunnel going beneath the railway tracks is a cool shaded area and so many street sellers set up shop there.  This morning, I saw that some of the sellers had brought their children along.  I saw two infants sitting on a straw mat on the sidewalk.  
  • The streetside watermelon sellers are back for the summer.  These people will live, sleep, and sell watermelons on a streetside.  The family that had the Wuxi Bengal Dog (a video, taken two years ago, that has been seen nearly 300,000 times on Youtube) are there, but don't have any dogs. 
 

No comments: