Saturday, April 4, 2020

Qing Ming Festival; Tony's Return to School Postponed; Air Raid Sirens; My Social Media Activity, My Favorite Websites; Has It Been an Overreaction?


  • On a Friday evening, my wife Jenny asked me if we wanted to go anywhere during the next three days. "The next three days?" I asked. She responded that it was a holiday and I then realized that I had forgotten about Qing Ming day, which is also known as Tomb Sweeping Day, a day to honour ancestors in China. Holiday doesn't mean anything in this time of quarantine and lockdown. However I am aware of Easter and Lent.

  • Tony is not going back to school on April 7th as I may have been said previously in this blog. With him going back to school, I could expect to later go back to work. But now everything is up in the air as no date was given for when Tony could actually expect to go back to school. But Tony is at least happy that he doesn't have to go back to school for which I can't blame him. I hate the time I am at his school waiting to take him home. His school is ugly and the atmosphere of the place is communist-barbaric.

  • April 4th, 10:00 AM, air raid sirens blared. It was to honour heroes, Jenny told me. Whatever.

  • What have I been doing on Social Media? I have been sending to some and posting a lot of Memes and Gifs. Sadly, I learned the hard way that Gifs have to be of a certain size to be effective. The memes I have been getting from the Feral Irishman, Daily Timewaster, Bookworm and Stately McDaniel Manor. I also have been posting comments on others' moments if the whim strikes or if the moment poster is a person I really like. The cruder memes I post on a chat group call Shitposters Unlimited. I avoid criticizing the Chicoms...

  • My favorite websites currently are Essays in Idleness, Bookworm, the Z Blog, Amerika, Rotten Chestnuts, Peter Hitchens, Clusterfuck Nation, the American Sun, According to Hoyt, Daily Timewaster, Duff and Nonsense, Splendid Isolation, Taki's Magazine and Liberty's Torch. (The best site on China is mine. Actually, I couldn't tell you even one site I would recommend about China. I never make a point of visiting any. I am here and so I don't need to, could be a defence of this negligent practice of mine.)

  • Has the crisis of this crisis been the virus itself or an overreaction? I am certain it is the latter because we are living in the age of snowflakes and safe spaces, and because the measures that have been taken during this crisis are a logical extension (in a perverse way) of the security features we already have in airports and of the steadily increasing requirements for protective gear in all sporting and outdoor activities. In other words, we have become more and more wussified. We are in the age of Wussie. (which is close in pronunciation to Wuxi) We are also living in more illiberal times. I overheard my wife Jenny listening to someone singing a song that was denouncing people who were going outside. And its tone was surely that of a zealot: "F off and stay indoors. F off and stay indoors." was how the lyrics went. Hearing that confirmed for me the mindset of the people who think this reaction is somehow prudent. (Do people who write songs like that even know the meaning of the word prudent?)


No comments: