Saturday, April 25, 2020

E-Mail from the Derb; Tony Goes to School on a Sunday; Small Acts of Kindness; Starbucks Back to Business; The Sending of Face Masks; Sometimes You Got to Wait; My Other Blog


  • I sent a email to John Derbyshire who is the host of my favorite podcast, a bit of a sino-observer and who like me has China for an in-law; and I got a reply in two days. My email had to do with the travails of being married to a Chinese wife slash tiger mother. I asked whether Derb's wife was a tiger mother. He response made me feel better. While I didn't get any advice about how to deal with my tiger mother wife, I did learn of his experiences, and it was good it know that I was not alone.

  • My son Tony has to go to school on Sunday because of the labour day (May Day) holiday.

  • Based on my meme posting, you would think I am not but a person of dark and sick thoughts. But I am capable of small acts of kindness as long as they aren't sentimental.

  • Saturday (the day before Tony goes back to school), I mule it to Jenny's office building. (By "mule it" I mean pick up delivery packages for my Chinese wife Jenny). There is a mall near Jenny's building so I decided to walk about it and see what I could see and report. The Mall was back to business with no evidence of a lock down. I walked past it's Starbucks and saw people happily seat at tables, san masks, in groups, and felt annoyance. If people can sit at tables at Starbucks, why can't we open our school!?!?

  • Sunday evening, Jenny asked me how it was that when the "pandemic" started in China that overseas Chinese were sending face masks to China and then when the "pandemic" spread to overseas, you didn't hear stories of Chinese expats sending face masks to their home countries. I suppose the intent of the question was to show how the overseas Chinese or the Chinese in general were more caring than foreigners. My first response was that to say it would never have crossed any of our minds for it would have been like being in Africa and sending food to the first world. My second response would have been how no one abroad wants Chinese-made crap.

  • Sometimes when you impart some wisdom to your child, it is wise to not expect the lesson to set in right away, but to give it some time, maybe even years. Immediate learning is not possible if the person is not receptive to what is being taught.

  • Here is my photoblog: www.wuxiandis.wordpress.com. I have just published some photos on it.


No comments: