Monday, April 13, 2020

Be Still My Heart; Still Waiting: Three Easter Films; Chinese Navy Propaganda; WHO Complaining about Politics; Trump;


  • I drove my son Tony to school for his second day back. It has become annoyingly routine already and so I hate I as much as I ever have. However this second morning, I saw something that made me a little happy. Way back in the before times, I had changed my morning route back home from Tony's school to avoid annoying traffic and meatheads at a particular corner. I decided to make a left turn by the corner instead of trying to turn right. Two things drove me crazy about waiting in line to make the right turn: first, the drivers trying to cut in line; and second, the drivers going into the bicycle lane instead of sticking to the car lane. The latter were trying to make a right turn. This morning, I was passing the corner, turning left and saw that a car that had gotten into the bicycle lane had had a fender bender with a car in the driving lane. I was happy to see there was some justice in the universe. I did feel sorry for the car in the driving lane but lord knows, that car probably didn't use its turn signals or was trying to make a premature right turn. (I define a premature turn as a turn made too early. That is, the driver doesn't wait hr id past the end of the lane before turning. Usually this is a bigger problem when the local drivers make left turns. At my apartment complex entrance, I have seen drivers so prematurely make left turns that they block cars trying to turn right towards the complex entrance.)

  • Sadly, two days after Tony's school has opened, there has been no word yet about when my school will re-open.

  • For Easter, I watched three films about Christ's life: 2004's The Passion of the Christ, 1965's The Greatest Story Ever Told, and 1964's The Gospel According to St. Matthew. All had something to be said for them, and I will be sure to watch them all again in the future. The best of the three in my opinion was The Passion of the Christ. It's use of flashbacks made its depictions of Christ's Passion exceedingly poignant. And it also made a point of giving Mary a prominent role in the story. The other two did their stories in straight narrative time and Mary did not make as many appearances. The Gospel According to St. Matthew was made without cinematic flurries and one can't help but wonder if its pacing was more ultimately more realistic than The Passion's. The Gospel's best moments were its depictions of Jesus teaching. The Greatest, though having a flawed epic feel to it, had wonderful settings and the great performance of Charlton Heston as John the Baptist.

  • My wife Jenny was watching some video about the Chinese Navy on her phone, and trying to make me watch it. The video, from the seconds I saw of it, was full of Hollywood blockbuster effects. When I told her I wasn't interested in watching propaganda, she wasn't pleased.

  • I think it was the WHO director who I heard making a plead for getting politics out of the Wuhan Virus proceedings. What he was basically asking for was for critics to keep quiet and to let those in power do as they please, which is tyranny.

  • Those who don't like Trump are saying he has done, is doing and will do a bad job. Those who like him or voted for him have, I think, been more realistic. Not of them many praise his oratory skills but have praised him getting things done.


No comments: