Thursday, April 4, 2024

8:13 AM View


 Back to Jiangyin sometime today.

I just extended my Duolingo streak to 1531 days.

I must remind myself that today is not Sunday — it’s Friday.  It feels like Sunday because it’s the second day of the holiday and tomorrow I got to do something at school.

Today, the boys, that be my son Tony & I, get haircuts and a beard trimming.

Shot me if I already published this;

I found a George F Kennan book on the internet to read.  The book was  about the relationship between America and Revolutionary Russia from 1917 to 1920.  I was particularly interested in reading a book by Kennan  because I had heard, on a podcast, that he took a lot of time trying to write with stylish prose.  The podcast said  he was like Edward Gibbon.  Reading a few pages of the book above and I can testify that Kennan does write with a great literary style.


I was also interested in reading a Kennan book because his views were particularly reactionary.



I am reading a book on prayer by Romano Guardini and a book on poetry, written around 1900 or so, which was a collection of poetry for young people.  A lot of the poems in the anthology could be enjoyed by adults as well.  The poems have all been written in iambic pentameters.  The rhythms are so unmistakable that even I, the toneless wonder with a tin ear, can detect them.



I am listening to a podcast on supply chains.  There is a big problem with freight theft.  Entire freight containers and trucks are being stolen.  A notable example was a truckload of Jagomir Jagger bobbleheads that was stolen.  The thiefs are so well organised and know how to take advantage of weak security points throughout the supply chain.




No comments: