Saturday, June 11, 2011

Miscellaneous Observations

  • At the intersection of Zhongshan and Xueqian Roads, I witnessed the traffic cops being unheeded, again.  Last week, I saw pedestrians running red lights in spite of having whistles blown at them by these cops.  This morning, I saw electric bicyclists being told to stay behind a line until the green light said they could proceed.  The traffic cops, in their blue uniforms, blew their whistles and waved their flags at the offenders.  The electric bicyclists being in front of the line, had a look of peevish obliviousness.  I saw this happen twice as I went to McDonald's for breakfast and then as I walked to school.
  • I asked a student to list some animals.  Among her list, she included Wasps and Frogs -- the ethnic composition, more or less, of Canada before 1960.
  • Saturday morning, eight a.m., at the intersection near Casa Kaulins I saw two traffic cops, blue uniformed and white gloved, standing about monitoring traffic.  It seemed crazy to me that they should be doing so since it was early on a Saturday morning when traffic was less than a weekday, and the intersection at which they stood had traffic lights.  Does the government not trust the population or does it feel a need to always being babysitting them?  I wonder if they go to bed with a sense of accomplishment.

No comments: