Thursday, August 2, 2007

What I am up to today.

The wife was up early this morning to go the number four hospital for a pregnancy checkup.  600 AM, she told me something before I rolled over hoping it was all a bad dream.  She later phoned to rouse me again from a nearby restaurant where she was having breakfast.  I rushed to join her and we were at the hospital about 830.

The wife's checkup was fine.  The baby is healthy but she was alarmed to be told that the baby is big and still has some growing to do.

Only thing was that my wife had a blind man ask her for her seat on the bus, and then another man try to jump the queue on her at a hospital cashier line.  I stood in between them as they fought not really knowing what the talk was about.  The second man figured he was entitled to jump the queue because he was old thought he didn't look it.

Back at the apartment by 930 AM, we went back to bed in an air-conditioned room.  I tried to watch a couple Ingmar Bergman DVDs that I happen to have but the wife found them to be boring.  There was no action and lots of emoting in the scenes we did see.  One of the DVDs had an interview with Bergman where he didn't talk about making films but instead went on and on about his feelings about his mother.

I can hear thunder outside.  It may rain this afternoon.

The news of the bridge collapse in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA has caught my attention.  I have been to Minneapolis many times.  My grandparents on my father's side lived there.  I have memories of having been on a big bridge crossing the Mississippi River.  It may well have been the one that collapsed. 

I can remember walking one day from my grandparents' house to the shores of the river.  Something that had to be done like when I stood on the shores of the Fraser in British Columbia and the Yangtze here in China.

I will spend the afternoon, looking for updates about the disaster in Minneapolis and finishing editing on Pregnancy Update VIII

No comments: