Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ritma. Wonton. The 27 Bus. U.S. Foreign Policy from some Candidates.

I was trying to phone Gundy's sister, who lives in Winnipeg, this morning but I learned when I talked to my Aunt Ritma, who also lives in the Peg, that Lolita (Edy) was in Brandon, Manitoba visiting her daughter and and her five grand children.  It was good to talk to my aunt who had kept me up for a few years when I was living in Winnipeg myself.  Ritma is  always optimistic and patient.  I think she will live till she is 120.  It is the sort of impression she leaves you with.

Ritma told me some more details about the funeral.  Edy's children, and Gundy's nephews and nieces played a big part in the memorial service.  Rheagan sang Amazing Grace.  Chris did the eulogy.  The young ones of our family stepping forward, said Ritma, was a good thing to see.

Ritma was excited to hear about our baby.  I will have to buy some phone cards so I can tell her the good news about Tony's birth.

The wife made wonton last week.  She did an excellent job but I was not crazy about the fillings.  Tonight, I have gotten her to put ground beef and potato in them.  And having just tried them, I can say that I am in heaven.  Though I should have put more cumin and hot sauce in with them.

There is thundering and lightning going outside as I type: a storm that had been building all afternoon.

After I taught three classes this afternoon, I learned about the vastness of Wuxi this afternoon when I decided on a whim to see where the #27 bus goes.  At the stop where I would normally get off the bus to get to school, I boarded.  I thought that the bus would make a short circuit about downtown and get me home.  Instead, I went on a long journey.

If I had taken my usual bus home, I would have been saying "Honey, I am home!" at 430 PM.  Instead, I was home at about 545.  The 27 bus went past the Taihu Square, the Kempenski Building, the New Sports Center, and a shopping center called Tianrunfa and eventually stopped at a station.  I had to get off, get on another 27 bus and go all the way past the way in which I had come.  Very annoying.  But there was a lot to see.  There were some great photos to be taken but I didn't bring my camera with me.  It was recharging itself at home.

US foreign policy: Rudy Guilliani versus John EdwardsThe former is running for the 2008 Republican nomination for president while the latter is running for the Democratic Party nomination.  I of course support Guilliani's foreign policy vision.  What surprised me about Edwards' double speak was that he didn't say anything directly about the U.N.  Rudy gave it a paragraph and said it was mostly useless.  Edwards said nothing either way.  Both see the U.S. as being the one that must provide moral leadership with the world.

No comments: