Tuesday, May 14, 2024

4:56 PM View


 Back home after a not so busy afternoon.  I worked on my wife Jenny’s Visa application process; I and my son Tony watched two episodes of Mind Your Language: a late 70s British sitcom about an EFL teacher in London; and I talked with one student about the uses of the words ‘Chairman’, ‘President ’, ‘Mayor’ and Party Chairman’ by the Chinese.  My son found the sitcom funny;  I wondered if the show could be made today because it probably wouldn’t be considered PC.  And I found it funny too.  The student did his best but he couldn’t really explain the difference in roles of a Mayor and a local Party Chairman in the city government.  The visa application process?  Oh God! I hate bureaucracy.  It’s fundamentally undemocratic because no one ever votes for it.  It’s the price they pay for believing the lie of politicians.

No comments: