Thursday, May 6, 2021

My May Day Holiday Had Two Highlights

I had a four day May Day holiday.


The first highlight was going to Shanghai to see Tony participate in a baseball tournament. His Wuxi NKCS team played against three teams full of Japanese, Korean and American players.


Tony's team struggled, to be generous. It was their first time to play against such experienced opposition. They were no-hit in one game. Tony said his team scored one run but I didn't recall them scoring. The other teams must have stolen fifty bases on Tony's team in the three games, including home on one play. Thinking about the tournament beforehand, I wasn't expecting Team Tony to win any games. I wasn't expecting the other teams to be so good though.


Tony played first base for the three games. He had some good moments though he didn't catch every ball thrown at him. Some of the throws were errant; a few he could have caught. He told me after that he would rather have played center field. As for hitting. Tony went down twice on called strikes, once on a ball hit to the pitcher.


This day trip to Shanghai was my first time to leave the confines of Wuxi since Spring Festival 2020.


I had a tiring journey to get to Shanghai. I was at the Yanqiao Metro Station before its doors opened in the morning for the 6:00 AM train to get to the Wuxi Train Station (the main one, not the two other new ones). There I took the G7029 High Speed Train to the main Shanghai train station, and then Shanghai Metro Lines 3 and 11 to get to the Shanghai Circuit subway station near where Tony was playing.


Watching Tony, I got sunburned on the back, arms and legs. It never occurred to me to bring along some suntan lotion. The locals, I learned during the next day's speakers corner, rarely get sunburned. All the students could recall it happening to them once.




The other highlight of the Holiday was getting my question to a favorite blog of mine, Rotten Chestnuts. published in a mailbag entry.


Here is how I answered the question I posed to the Rotten Chestnuts blogger:


McQueen

Pinochet

Trump

Jonah Goldberg

Bush

Biden

Obama

Hitler

Stalin





No comments: