Thursday, May 27, 2021

A Trip to Shanghai

I went to Shanghai, on a Tuesday, to transact some personal business at the Canadian Consulate.


I went to Shanghai via train. The trip took less than an hour.



I was initially overwhelmed by the big city bustle. I wondered how Shanghai people could focus.


While in Shanghai, the Winnipeg Jets were playing the Edmonton Oilers in Game Four of their first round playoff series. The game went into triple overtime. I followed the game, wearing my Jets cap, on the NHL app on my smartphone.




To get into the consulate, I had to sign a form saying I didn't have Covid or that I didn't know anyone who did.


I then sat in a waiting room where I saw lots of relaxed employees walked back to their work after lunch. The waiting room was deader than than the employees. The room showed the true relationship of the government to its people. The workers were hidden behind walls and doors and windows. Human relations weren't not allowed.


I was annoyed that the consulate wouldn't take cash for their services.



A great proportion of people seemed to be wearing muzzles in Shanghai than in Wuxi.


There were lots of nice looking girls in Shanghai.


I went to the foreign language bookstore. I bought a book for Tony about Kobe Bryant. I hope he reads it.


I went to a Tim Horton's. I bought an ice cap for myself and five bagels for my wife Jenny. My wife does love Tim Horton's bagels. Drinking the ice cap, I was in agony for a moment as I got a ice buzz from drinking it too quickly.

No comments: