Thursday, February 10, 2022

1.6 RMB Wuxi Metro Dilemma

The stops or stations of the Wuxi Metro are configured differently.  Which is fine I suppose.  Variety makes life spicy or something to that effect.  Some stops have the platform in the middle of the two tracks so you can easily access a train going either direction. Some stops have two platforms so that you may have to go under or over the tracks to get to the train going in your desired direction.  Near and dear to my heart, I’ve noticed that there is variety when it comes to restroom (or washroom) placement.  At some stations, you have to enter the station — that is go through the admission gate — to get to the bathroom.  At other stations, the restrooms are outside of the admission gates.  Of the stations where you have to gain admission, some have their restrooms on the platform which I think is pretty cool.


I wish to discuss a station which has a very confusing configuration.  I won’t tell you its precise location to protect the innocent and also, so as for me to not be attacked by critics who may feel compelled to hang out at the station and wait to pounce on me with violence or sarcastic laughter.  This station is one of the sort with two platforms, which is not evil.  However, passengers have to be careful when entering.  There are stairs and a tunnel going under the tracks.  However, these stairs and tunnel are outside the admission area so you have to be on the ball when it comes to which admission gate you go through.  You could end up on the platform for the train going in the wrong direction and have but two recourses:  you could leave the platform through the exit gate and eat 1.6 rmb or you could take the train in the wrong direction for one stop and then board a train going in the right direction and lose some time.  It’s an embarrassing dilemma to be in and it would be a great shame to tell the Wuxi Metro staff about it, even if I could speak the local language.


I have to be at this station slash stop once a month to conduct a financial procedure, so if I go there in a state of absentmindedness, I will find myself standing on the wrong platform facing that dilemma.  On the two occasions when I realized my gaffe, I chose once to eat the money and the other instance to go down the line one stop.

No comments: