Tuesday, December 29, 2020

What did AKIC do Christmas Day?; Downtown Wuxi; Tony's Three Favorite Bands; Black Ice in Wuxi?


Christmas Day was a bore and was full of melancholy for me.  We, that be my wife Jenny & my son Tony & I, did go out and have a buffet meal on the 64th floor of this hotel in downtown Wuxi, but it really wasn't Christmasy except for some ornamental trees placed on the tables.  The food was as well as could be expected.  After the meal, we wandered around the area of the hotel before driving back home where we hung out the rest of the day.  I watched some old movies with a holiday theme and listened to some Christmas music.  I also sent out Merry Christmas greetings to people I am acquainted with in Canada.

Funny how I was able to exchange greetings with people in North America but not with any expatriates in Wuxi.


The Monday between Christmas and New Year's was spent at a hotel in the downtown of Wuxi.  Jenny had us stay there because the district where we live in Wuxi was doing one of those periodic turning offs of residential water supply.  Our hotel room was on the 50th floor and we were practically on top of the Moresky360 building. (There is a photo at my photo blog of this)  Stunning view but otherwise, I was bored.  Nothing much to see in downtown Wuxi these days.


My son Tony's three favorite musical groups are:  Nirvana, The Beatles and The Jam.  I was surprised by his third choice.  The late seventies modish punk band was not the one I would have expected.

For what's it worth I will tell you that my favorite three musical groups or singers are:  Frank Sinatra, The Beatles and The Smiths.


Snow in Wuxi on the 29th.  In a Wuxi Foreigner WeChat group, there was talk of black ice.  I was tempted, but didn't, to make a comment about "black ice" being a racist term.

No comments: