Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Immaculate Conception, Anti-Mad-Scientist I Am; Local Police Policing Intersections; Another Bad Local Driving Habit; Divine Assistance?; Wuxi Weather Currently; Xenophobia Against Chinatowns?; Rude Wuxi Locals;


This blog entry was started on the day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Es domāju, ka Trump tiešām uzvarēja vēlēšanās.  Vēlēšanas tika nozagtas.


I am not anti-science.  I am anti-scientism as well as anti-mad-scientist.  There are many of the latter these days.


I reported in a recent previous entry, that there has been a visible police presence at intersections.  The authorities are trying to get pedestrians and cyclists to behave better.  I have been warned twice about not standing beyond a line while waiting for a green pedestrian signal. 

On the morning of the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception, I saw a woman on a bike being shooed behind a line by a tall policeman.  The woman and the policeman started arguing, and at one instance, it seemed that the policeman was about to grab the woman who seemed to make like she was about to flee the scene.  I never saw the conclusion of the set-to as I had to board the bus taking me to work.


Driving to and from Tony's school, I witnessed a frightening habit some local drivers have of suddenly crossing two or three lanes of traffic in order to drive into a exit lane that they suddenly realized that they should be turning into.  Local drivers are reactive and never seem to anticipate.


I may have mentioned this in a previous blog entry but I make it a habit of praying the rosary every day. (Every day, I also try to read some French, read some Spanish, read some Latvian, read some Chinese, practice French on Duolingo, practice Spanish on Duolingo, practice Chinese on Duolingo, practice Latvian on some other apps, read some Nicolás Gómez Dávila aphorisms, read poetry, read some Catholic, read another work of fiction or non-fiction, and write something for this blog.)  On the day after the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Mary Virgin, I suddenly couldn't remember part of the Hail Holy Queen prayer.  Maybe it's a sign I'm getting old.  But the missing words did come back to me.  Whether it is my brain memory working a strange way or some divine assistance, I couldn't tell, but getting the words back made my day.


The weather now in Wuxi is sort of cold, sort of not.  Today, I put on what turned out to be too many layers for the weather, and now I feel uncomfortably hot.  I can't say which is worse:  to be over-dressed or under-dressed in Wuxi weather.


I came across this news story staying that Chinatowns in the USA are suffering due to xenophobia brought on by the Covid situation.  My immediate reaction was Jesus!  Racism is a major explanation for everything in the world for some people.  Most of the Chinatowns are being avoided because of the panic and lockdowns brought by the Covid situation.  No racism there.  And the fact that the Covid originated in China and so people are reluctant to have anything to do with Chinese places, isn't racism either.


I have been annoyed by older Chinese women these past two days.  One day, I was waiting in line to buy bread at a bakery and an older woman cut in line.  I swore at her and she seemed to have understood.  The next day, I was sitting on the bus.  When an older woman sat in front of me and opened the window so that I was suddenly having a cold breeze blowing on me.  I swore at her too.  You would think that civilized people would ask if they were inconveniencing others if they opened a window on a cold day.  Well, the people in Wuxi, especially its older residents, don't.


Comments: email me at andiskaulins@qq.com or andiskaulins@hotmail.com.






No comments: