Friday, May 27, 2011

Home Mart demolished!

Actually, the Home Mart was not demolished.  The Home Mart of which I speak was closed years ago.  What I mean is that the building that the Home Mart was in has been demolished.  Currently, the ground, that it once occupied, is nothing but an open space occupied by a big pile of rubble.  

This pile or rubble really is quite a stark sight for this long-time Wuxi Expat -- that is if you can say that being in Wuxi since 2004 bestows on one the right to call oneself a long-time, long-term Wuxi Expat, who if he felt so inclined could call others newbies -- but I wouldn't do that!  Oh no!  I am not one to lord it over the others in that manner -- though I know many Wuxi Expats who are inclined or were inclined to.  Shame on them!

Anyway.  Pardon my digression!  Please!  What I mean to say is that in 2003 or 2004 when I first came to Wuxi, that intersection, which I am dammed if I can remember the name of, had a Home Mart and a Sheraton Hotel diagonally opposite from each other.  Now, the Hotel is run by a different chain, and diagonally opposite the hotel is a big pile of rubble.  Down the street from this pile of rubble there used to be Ronnie's Pub.  Ronnie's isn't there anymore and now neither is the Home Mart.

Memories light the corner of my mind!  Sweet-colored memories.......

No comments: