Monday, August 7, 2023

The contradictions of the Star Trek philosophy

 I’ve never been a Trekkie.  I have seen some Star Trek movies and TV shows.  That Wrath of Khan movie with the original cast of Star Trek and Ricardo Montablon left a good impression on me.  But as per the later iterations of the show:  I never got into them.


Someone told me recently that the Star Trek philosophy was the elimination of world borders and we’re all one.  So I wonder how it can have a multicultural, multiethnic crew, and even boast of it.  It seems to me to be a contradiction.  By eliminating borders, one has to eliminate diversity: for borders are the cause of diversity.  Crossing borders and eliminating borders, diversity has to be conquered.  So why weren’t or aren’t the crews of Star Trek portrayed as being of one universal group? The group that conquered or assimilated the rest? There alas, lies the contradiction.  The diversity that Star Trek tries to portray involves one group or philosophy conquering the rest.


https://kaulins.substack.com/p/the-contradictions-of-star-trek-philosophy?sd=pf

No comments: