Saturday, May 6, 2023

The Coronation


I was able to watch some of the coronation on a CNN feed at me colleague’s apartment.


The quality of the pictures of the broadcast were way too vivid.  There was no dreamlike quality to the images. Everyone looked over-fed and pale.  I now want to look for black and white film of the 1953 coronation.  I want coronations to be majestic.


King Charles looked old and weary.  I wondered aloud if he was going to die halfway through the ceremony.  His consort Camilla looked Biden-like when she was entering Westminster Abbey.  She looked so old and immobile.


And why wasn’t Biden there?  CNN spoke of a tradition of U.S. presidents not attending coronations.  Though with previous coronations happening in 1953 and then 1937, one can’t say a tradition had been established.  The truth is Biden couldn’t stay so long in public without shitting himself.


The coronation, as well, was full of diversity.

No comments: