Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Holiday Gone; Space and Nothing; Boring Libertarians; Re-Landscaping; Etiquette; Sportsball: Big Panic; Not Much; Jenny Holiday Plan; SPC Changes; Can't Watch Fargo Season Four; Wuxi Walking; Biden ; Courtesy; Tony; Trump, Bad Drivers

The holiday came and gone.  Six days of meh!  I did things but nothing really excited me.


Can there be space if there is absolutely nothing, or does there have to be something in order for space to exist?  In other words, is space only possible in relation to something?  It is mystery that I think has never been solved.



When listening to podcasts, I have to admit that libertarian style talk about markets can become boring after a while.  These rightists really need to talk in a politically economic way with markets playing one part in the jockeying among groups and individuals for power.  Markets are great except for the fact that people cheat.  Markets are great except for the fact that people will do anything to make money.  Markets are great except for the fact that different groups do it in different ways.  Markets are great except for the fact that those with power will try to rig it.



One of the government compounds near Casa K seems to be undergoing a bit of re-landscaping.  All the bamboo trees, that had been placed as an extra buffer between the exterior compound fence and the parking and building area of the compound, have been taken down.  I will have to wait to see with what the bamboo will be replaced.  An interesting detail that I can report is that I saw some local residents taking the twenty-foot-long bamboo trunks back to their apartments.  However, what they would do with them is beyond me.



Listening to a Southern Nationalist podcast about etiquette, and I became more aware how crudely modern I am in many ways.  I dress for shit.  Just way to casual.  My bearing is too relaxed.  I am lacking in manners and consideration for others.  


Oh well.  It still isn't late, even at my age, to reform.



I was talking about sportsball with Tony when he was phoning us (that be his mother & me) from his dorm.  We talked about the latest results from the NBA, NHL and MLB.  When we talked about the MLB, I was surprised to see how closely he was following the standings.  He knew for instance that the White Sox, who are in the same division as the Minnesota Twins, had lost six games in a row the week previous.



I think that was has happened with Covid has been the biggest panic in human history.  The Covid is nothing that unusual.  It is one of those more severe viruses that hits the world every ten or twenty years.  What is unprecedented has been the publicity it has garnered.  Thanks to the communication technology we have now, Covid-19 is the most publicised virus in human history.  The near constant publicity has caused an unprecedented panic and typical overreaction on the part of politicians.   Previous viruses with the severity of the Covid-19 happened and life went on as normal.  And there is the fact that we also live in a overly cautious age.  Things I did like my childhood like walk to primary school by myself, ride a bicycle without a helmet, or wander for hours on my own without adult supervision or even my parents knowing where I was -- these are all crimes now because they aren't "safe."  


I don't think that this Covid-19 thing can be labelled a plandemic. But I won't deny that are people who are using this "crisis" to gain themselves some power.  These people furrow their brows and then use emotional arguments to defend over-precaution.


Hope, I didn't trigger anyone excessively by saying this.



The big mystery of the Covid-19 is what happened in China where all the whole Covid-19 affair started.  One suggestion I heard was that panic started because the Chinese are hypochondriacs.  Combine this with China's totalitarian form of governance and you can explain the overreaction, which was then publicized enough to make the world panic.


With the national holidays coming up, I won't have much to do at work.  Many of the kid's classes will be cancelled as well as the company class I do.



I knew it!  I knew it!  I knew it!  I knew that my wife Jenny was going to throw a wrench into my October Holiday plans.  On the day before the start of the holiday, she told me that Tony had a drumming class every morning during my six days off.  So, I will have to get up early every morning of my holiday and either be driving him downtown for the classes, or be accompanying him while he takes the bus.



The old women who come to our SPC's do so because it is free.  Management of our school is getting annoyed at this.  They have instituted a policy where people, who have never paid for classes at our school, can't come to SPC's on Saturday and Sunday.  (I learned of this when a sign was posted in the SPC area and I then had the old women translate it for me.)



I was excited that a new season of the Fargo TV series was out.  I downloaded the first episode and I was thinking that finally there was a series I could watch, but after ten minutes, I had to abandon the series like I had just abandoned the first season of Ted Lasso.  I abandoned Ted Lasso because of all the people being divorced and having one-night stands.  It was becoming a soap opera and I was hoping to see a series about soccer.  I abandoned Fargo Season Four after ten minutes because it was obnoxiously woke.  There was a young black girl, smart in a Lisa Simpson like way, being discriminated against and oppressed by white people who were stupider than her and couldn't accept her being accomplished.  Z Man, who must have stayed with it longer, said the series now had an all-black cast.


The only good thing that has come out of taking Tony to his drumming class downtown is that I discovered some great places to go walking.  Tony's drumming class is in the BMC compound which is down the road from Bao Li, the abandoned Wuxi shopping mall. (Older Wuxi Expats would know about it.) The BMC sits right by a canal.  Now I am not one to give much credit to the government authorities in China, but I will admit that the canal going through the downtown of Wuxi has a long and extensive network of canal-side walkways that are great for taking a stroll.  I walked along these walkways and had wonder why I hadn't walked them before -- old Wuxi hand that I am.  


To me it shows that many things are best stumbled upon than actually systemically looked for.  My discovery made my sojourn in Wuxi a little more tolerable.




With Biden said to be staying in his basement for the 2020 election campaign, I can't help but think it is analogous to Hitler sitting in bunker in Berlin in 1945.  Of course, the people who like to think of Trump Hitler analogies would have thought up my analogy if Trump had hidden in his basement which he didn't.  Trump was too busy not hiding.





Courtesy in a style choice in China in that there are no practical benefits to exercising it.  It would never enter a Chinese person's mind to be courteous to some they don't know and from whom they couldn't extract a benefit.  If a courtesy is extended to them from a stranger, they would think it strange and never think to reciprocate it.





The Chinese are mad at Trump because they think he doesn't like them.  I have responded to this by telling them that it isn't Trump's job to like them, he is working for his people.  I should have also asked them why anyone should like the Chinese.  What have they done for any other countries?  Or do they think they should be liked because they have been victims?



My son Tony disappoints me as I am sure I disappointed my father.  What drives me crazy about Tony is constant playing of computer and phone games.  I wish he would read more.  I don't think as yet that he has ever tried to read an entire book from front cover to back.  When I tell him this, he ignores me.  And just now, he asked me to add funds to his steam account so he could buy another game.  I brought up my expectation that he would read something, and all he could do was glare and become unresponsive to asking for action on my expectation.



Back to work I was on October 7th, on the way there, I was a pedestrian at a crosswalk where a car swerved instead of yielding to me, so I was able to pound the back of the car's trunk.  I hope I scared the shit out of the driver.  It gave me some satisfaction to do that.


Trump since contracting Covid-19 has behaved heroically.  It gives me great satisfaction that he is annoying the bed-wetters.



There was another driver who annoyed me and seemed remarkable enough for me to blog about him.  I was driving down this road that takes me from the downtown of Wuxi to Compound Kaulins and back.  This icehole driving a white sedan, a cigarette sticking out the driver window, tried to change lanes in front of me without a respectable distance and without turn signals.  I blared the horn long and annoyingly at him.  I pulled up beside and gave him a glare.  He was male in his thirties and forties, with a shaved head and the look of a warlord wannabee.  A real piece of human filth and the type you hoped would get killed in by anyone having a war with China.
















No comments: