Sunday, September 27, 2020

October Holiday Approaching; Hole in the Toe of Sneaker, Tony's Extracurricular Activities; Holiday Plan: Avoid Crowds; Go Trump Go!; Don't Bother Being An Anti-Racist; I hate SaturSunday!; Advice for Newbies; Censored History Textbooks; No Mention Christ


With the October Holiday approaching, what do I have to say for myself? Not much. Perhaps I could say I am a low, mean bastard. But I could say I'm not.


On with the Motley! as my favorite pod-caster says.


I got a hole in the toe of one of my sneakers. These is a persistent problem I have with sneakers that I buy from Decathlon, which is the only store in Wuxi where I can get my size of shoes. (I am a size 47.  99 percent of the shoe stores in Wuxi stock up to size 44.) I have patched the toe of the sneaker using fabric from an old umbrella and crazy glue that I bought at the Home Mart convenience store.


My son Tony's three extracurricular activities at his school are baseball, Spanish and movie appreciation. I am glad Tony will get a chance to learn baseball. I hope to be able to practice the Spanish I have learnt with Tony. I hope Tony tells the teacher his favorite movie is Blazing Saddles. (Apparently, he was to supposed to have four of this extracurriculars. Another stupid problem that my wife Jenny tells me to fix.)


What will we be doing the October Holiday? Not much, I hope. I have six days off. (eight of ten with probably two light days of work) I hope Tony & I can do some baseball stuff like playing catch, and pitch and hit. All I want is quiet, peace, and to avoid crowds. Staying in Wuxi is one way to do this. (Of course, my wife Jenny has starting planning things and found a way to take away any hoped-for relaxation. She wants me to teach Tony science. So, I have to teach him things that I may have learned in high school but then never got around to using.


Other local foreigners, I learned, have been told that they can't leave Jiangsu province during the holiday.



Needless to say, for those rare readers of this blog, I want Trump to prevail in the upcoming election. To those who would try to dissuade me by saying how bad he is, he is still better than all else that is out there which includes the entire Democrat party, most of the Republican party, Antifa, BLM, the Globalists and all those who say they are independent (and yet seem to talk from the Democrat playbook after declaring their middle-of-the-roadness) I only wish that Trump will be more of what he said he was going to be when he campaigned: a Nationalist and Patriotic President who wanted what was best for his country, and was an unapologetic American.


To those who say Trump is the nightmare, I say: you are the nightmare.



To those who say we must fight racism, I say don't bother. Only one group of people actually has the good will to try to judge people on the basis of character, and they have been called irredeemably racist for their efforts.



Tony going to school on Sunday is annoying. I work Saturday so I will only see Tony for a bit time on Friday night and Saturday evening when I am driving him to his school. He is going to school on Sunday because of the upcoming holiday.


What advice or insights do I have to offer to newbie laowei? Welcome to a new planet. If you can stand this planet, stay. If you find you can't, leave. There are so many things you will find strange, inexplicable and annoying about China.



The history textbooks to be used at an international school in Wuxi have finally arrived. They were late for the school year because someone had to expunge all mention of China and Taiwan from the textbook.



At some schools in Wuxi, it is forbidden to mention Christmas. The logic being it is a foreign holiday. Or so I have been told.



Down the street from my school is the #2 People's Hospital. Apparently, there are four cases of Covid there. Though, officially, there are no cases of Covid in Jiangsu province. Evidence to support lockdowns? This is the way it was presented to me.



To mark the 48th anniversary of Paul Henderson's famous goal scored against the Soviets, I posted highlight clips from the game on WeChat including Rod Gilbert giving a Red Ivan a bloody nose.

No comments: