Saturday, April 24, 2021

Things I Saw; Chauvin Thrown Under the Bus?; My Son and Patrick Marleau; Walt Whiteman; Using a Muzzle as a Sleep Aid

Riding the bus to work, I saw an old man wearing a khaki green Mao jacket, khaki green pants and a khaki green cap with a red star. Would have been a great picture tohave taken and to have sent back to Canada.


As it was, I did send some videos of things I could see taking the train to work the day previous. One of the video viewers was impressed by the monolithic look of the huge apartment buildings. It was the look I was hoping to capture when I took the video.



One of the students agreed with my assessment that officer Chauvin was thrown under the bus by the powers that be in Minneapolis.



My son Tony thought that Patrick Marleau breaking Gordie Howe's record was a big deal. (Tony pronounced "Howe" as "Howie" till I corrected him.)



Tony choose a poem written by Walt Whiteman (Whitman -- I had to correct him.) for World Book Day. Unfortunately, he didn't have any literary character that he wanted to dress as because, as he admitted, he wasn't literarily inclined. I told him not to worry about, but the day before he was told there would be consequences if he didn't dress up literarily. So, we had to scramble the night before to think up a literary character. I gave him a few choices: Harry Potter, Haulden Caulfeld from the Catcher in Rye and Roy Hobbs from the Natural. Tony told me he hated Harry Potter, didn't know who this Caulfeld character was, and so decided on Roy Hobbs because he at least had seen the start of the movie, starring Robert Redford, that the novel was based on.



I saw a passenger on the Wuxi Metro subway use his face muzzle like a sleeping mask. Instead of having the mask cover his nose, mouth and chin and Adam's Apple, he had the mask over his eyes while still covering his nose and mouth. I suppose this manner of wearing the muzzle would have been kosher with the authorities.



I decided to do a recon of a school I was applying to. It turned out to be the same distance from an end-of-the-line subway stop that Casa Kaulins is from another end-of-the-line subway stop. (And then it turned out that there was a closer subway stop to the school. Big relief!)




No comments: