Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 19, 2011

September 19, 2011

As I waited for Tony's kindergarten van,  I  saw three men walking down the street, arm-in-arm.  The man in the middle had his arm around the man on his right and locked arms with the man on his left.  They seemed happy but I never thought to examine them for signs of drunkenness.   They were all of short stature and dressed like they were from the countryside.

After they passed and as i look at them from a distance, I saw them continue to embrace each other.



I saw an old man wearing high top sneakers with no socks.  It is all in the details.


I had a student whose English name was Cheney.  I mentioned the famous U.S. vice president to him, and he gave the usual dronish line about Cheney being a Darth Vadar like character who loved war and once shot someone in the face. I usually let these comments pass, but for whatever reason --perhaps I listen religiously to Marc Levin on talk radio -- I didn't let his comment pass.  I told him that he had been told lies and Cheney was a decent fellow that china would be lucky to have as a leader.

One has to suppress so much when in china.  In a moment of weakness, one's true feelings can boil out like a kettle that has just begun to whistle.


At a bus stop downtown, I saw an old man laying on a bench, looking like he was going through convulsions.  His chest -- he was shirtless --seemed to heave like he was in a death rattle.  I thought I was witnessing a man dying.  Phlegm collected in his mouth, and he spit it out.  I thought he was going to vomit.

But then his bus pulled into the stop and he quickly arose, collected his things, and darted onto the bus.

Talk about timing your power naps right!


发自我的 iPad

No comments: